[vtkusers] Set ScalarOpacityUnitDistance correctly?

jhirsch jan.hirsch at st.ovgu.de
Tue Mar 22 13:45:44 EDT 2016

Hello,
maybe it seems like a naive question, but how can I set the 'right' value
for ScalarOpacityUnitDistance from a vtkVolumeProperty object?
I'm doing a volume rendering with a vtkProjectedTetrahedraMapper and
depending on the ScalarOpacityUnitDistance value I either see something or
not. My guess is, that it has something to do with the size of the volume...

For example, when I leave this value untouched (default=1.0) there is
nothing to see for my current data set. When I set it to something like
0.0003 the rendering looks OK but when I have only a part of the volume
(like a thin surface) I have to set ScalarOpacityUnitDistance to something
like 0.00015. Then the surface appears.

I don't want to guess the right value for every set of data I got, so what
are the properties and circumstances I have to consider?

Thanks in advance!