[vtkusers] Triangulate surface points?

Philip Fackler philip.fackler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 18:24:37 EDT 2016

Is there a way to triangulate a set of surface points using vtk? I've
looked around and everything I've found (vtk, cgal, pcl) only do a surface
reconstruction which ends up generating its own points to triangulate. I
want to actually use the points I have as the vertices of the
triangulation. Along with the point locations, I have a lot of information
available in my code that I could provide:

Normal vector at each point
Bounding segmented curve(s) (i.e., lists of edge cells indexing the list of
surface points)
A polydata representation of the surface (Note that the points I want to
triangulate are distinct from the points involved in this)

The only vtk utility that seems to come close to this is vtkDelaunay2D, but
it's only useful if all the points can be mapped to a 2D plane. This isn't
possible in general without a parametric surface, which is one bit of
information I don't have.

Thanks in advance for the help.