[vtkusers] How to use a vtkLODActor to draw a point cloud?

Thales Luis Rodrigues Sabino tluisrs at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 16:06:00 EDT 2016

I'm trying to use a vtkLODActor to draw a point cloud that has too many
points.

In order to so, after loading the data into the vtkPolyData and creating a
vtkPolyDataMapper, I use the following piece of code

m_CloudMapper->ImmediateModeRenderingOff();

m_CloudActor->SetNumberOfCloudPoints(numberOfPoints / 10);

m_CloudActor->GetProperty()->SetInterpolationToFlat();

Even with a couple million points and settings the desired update rate with
the line

m_QVTKWidget->GetInteractor()->SetDesiredUpdateRate(30.0);

I can't get the effect that Paraview offers. Even when the camera moves,
the vtkLODActor is not acting by random selecting points to draw and keep
the desired rate.

Am I missing something?

--
Thales Luis Rodrigues Sabino