[vtkusers] Curve smoothing along edges of 3D surface mesh

Raeceron ronald.de.leeuw.van.weenen at sioux.eu
Mon Mar 14 11:24:59 EDT 2016

Dear all,

In a segmentation application, a user selects a certain path across the
edges of a surface mesh to select a mesh region. Due to the relatively rough
nature of the mesh, the curve is rather rough and triangular in shape. For a
better look and smoother segmentation, I want to smoothen the selected path.
I tried:

1) subdivide and calculate Dijkstra path along a number of curve points (vtk
functions)
2) modify mesh to create a new path in mesh which is smoothened out (own
implementation)

1 leaves me with a huge mesh due to the subdivision, while I only want to
subdivide the part of the mesh where the curve is located (small percentage
of mesh).
2 leaves me with complicated algorithmics and a mesh that is modified each
time the user changes the path (can happen frequently). This leads to
non-manifoldness and very small faces in the mesh.

I have been looking around for a vtk algorithm (or own implementation using
vtk functions) to accomplish my goal without success so far. Any suggestions
would be kindly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance for your help!