[vtkusers] Ray tracing on global scene

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Fri Mar 11 11:04:39 EST 2016

Both exporters and pvmanta and pvospray work on the global scene (draw
everything within a renderer).

The manta and ospray options are just barely external. You compile them
into VTK and then they take the geometry created by VTK and hand it over to
the ray tracer before updating the renderwindow in the nearly the same way
that we normally hand over the geometry to OpenGL for rasterization before
updating the window.

In a few days time I'll be merging the successor to those earlier works
directly into VTK master. You can follow along until then here:
https://gitlab.kitware.com/demarle/vtk/tree/ospray-rendering

Besides those, you should also be aware of this paper (
https://blog.kitware.com/ray-casting-ray-tracing-with-vtk/) by Adamos
Kyriakou which shows how you might go about writing a ray traced surface
renderer starting from relevant parts of VTK.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive