[vtkusers] Moving an actor, after about 1.5 hours.

Richard Frank rickfrank at me.com
Tue Mar 8 08:27:56 EST 2016

Actually, it's a bit stranger than I thought. The global time stamp on Windows 64 bit is a 64 bit int cast to an
Unsigned long, as size of void ptr is 8
void vtkTimeStamp::Modified()
{
#if VTK_SIZEOF_VOID_P == 8
static vtkAtomicInt64 GlobalTimeStamp(0);
#else
static vtkAtomicInt32 GlobalTimeStamp(0);
#endif
this->ModifiedTime = (unsigned long)++GlobalTimeStamp;
}

I'm not certain off the top of my head what the wrap around pattern would be - probably 2 times around before wrapping to zero....

Sent from my iPad

> On Mar 7, 2016, at 11:13 AM, David Cole <DLRdave at aol.com> wrote:
>
> This is a well known issue, reported here:
>
>    http://www.vtk.org/Bug/view.php?id=14310
>
> There are some patch files against older versions of VTK which are
> attached to the bug. You could try a similar patch (although it's
> quite a few lines to change) against whatever version of VTK you are
> using.
>
> I would be VERY interested in seeing a modification to fix this
> problem make its way into VTK master.
>

> David C.
>

>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 9:36 AM, Ken Martin <ken.martin at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Oops, yes, I meant runnable time not run time :-)
>>

>>> On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Richard Frank <rickfrank at me.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh never mind - increase the runnable time not run time :>}
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPad

>>> As far as I'm aware, the only reason that VTK hasn't yet switched to a
>>> 64-bit MTime everywhere is that there would be backwards compatibility
>>> problems (GetMTime is a virtual method that is overridden in many