[vtkusers] Show a text for a limited period of time

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Mon Mar 7 09:54:23 EST 2016

While there is some timer support in VTK, since you are using Qt, you
are likely better of firing off a one-shot timer event in Qt after you
save your screen shot. See http://doc.qt.io/qt-4.8/qtimer.html for
details. In the slot you connect the timer to, you'll take care of
hiding/removing the vtkTextActor.

HTH,
Cory

On Mon, Mar 7, 2016 at 4:54 AM, Fernando Nellmeldin
<f.nellmeldin at open-engineering.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> does anyone know if this is possible with VTK?
>
> Thank you.
> Fernando.

> <f.nellmeldin at open-engineering.com>:
>>
>> Hello all.
>>
>> I would like to show a text in screen and this text should disappear after
>> a few seconds (3~4). For example, the text should say: "Screenshot saved"
>> and then disappear. For me, doesn't matter if the vtkTextActor gets deleted
>> or its visibility gets turned off.
>>
>> How can this be achieved with VTK? Please note that my VTK window is
>> embedded in a Qt application window.
>>
>> I've done this before with pure OpenGL, but in that case I had access to
>> the "while (true)" loop of the application and I could ask each frame how
>> many seconds have passed. I am completely lost on this subject when using
>> VTK.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Fernando.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ