[vtkusers] Problems Installing VTK-Python on OSX

Ranveer Aggarwal ranveeraggarwal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 02:25:50 EST 2016

Hello all,

I have been struggling with this problem for quite some time now. Here's
what I did.

1. Downloaded source tar.gz and untarred it.
2. Went to the downloaded folder and made a build folder and ran ccmake ..
in it.
3. Set Python Wrapping to on and set Python version as 3.5. Went to
advanced options and appropriately set all the Python 3.5 libraries.
4. Generated the cmake and ran it.
5. Ran make and then make install
6. Added
"/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.5/lib/python3.5/site-packages/vtk/"
to PYTHONPATH.

Now, when I run python3 and do an `import vtk`, I get

Fatal Python error: PyThreadState_Get: no current thread
Segmentation fault: 11

and Python crashes. Any idea why this could be happening? Any help would be
highly appreciated.
--

Sincerely,
Ranveer Aggarwal