[vtkusers] Kaspersky 2016 reports a virus in the windows installer for version 7.0.0

Michael Grabietz michael.grabietz at img-online.de
Tue Jun 28 09:39:15 EDT 2016

Hello,

I just downloaded the vtk7-Installer for Windows. I want to install vtk
under Windows 10. Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 is running on the PC.

I used the following installer:

http://www.vtk.org/files/release/7.0/vtkpython-7.0.0-Windows-64bit.exe

Kaspersky 2016 is up to date.

When I start the installer Kaspersky reports an issue with the file. A
virus was detected. Name or type of the virus is reported as
'UDS:DangerousObject.Multi.Generic'.

When VTK 7.0.0 is installed Kaspersky reports every *.pyd file in the
directory C:\Program Files\VTK 7.0.0\bin\Lib\site-packages\vtk as
infected by 'UDS:DangerousObject.Multi.Generic' too. 85 files were
quarantined.

vtkChartsCorePython.pyd                   Date: 2016-01-28 21:00
vtkCommonColorPython.pyd                  Date: 2016-01-28 20:55
vtkCommonComputationalGeometryPython.pyd
vtkViewsInfovisPython.pyd

I checked these files on various computers running different virus
scanners like F-Secure and even Kaspersky 2015 (not 2016!) with up to
date data bases. They don't complain.

Further I checked vtkChartsCorePython.pyd on the Kaspersky Site. There
is a possibility to upload files for checking. It is reported as
infected. Maybe somebody can give it a try and uploads one of these pyd
files to the Kaspersky site to verify this behaviour.

I hope it is a false positive. Do you had already some similar issues
like that? I am rather confused, since I cannot find any suitable
information in the web about this issue.

Best regards, Michael