[vtkusers] Is -DVTK_RENDERING_BACKEND=OpenGL needed for Haswell with 7.0.0?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Sun Jun 26 05:05:25 EDT 2016

>>> Yes, you should be fine with VTK 7.0, OpenGL2 and Haswell.  - Ken
>>>

> Hm, initially it seemed like things were working fine. I was using the GPU
> based volume mapper without problems (using a modified
> QVTKRenderWindowInteractor), and I _think_ I was using the OpenGL2 backend
> (how can I tell btw?).
>
> But now, as I started trying to make a QOpenGLWidget-based Qt<->VTK
> adapter class instead, I get the following when trying to initialize the
> render window:
>
> ERROR: In
> /home/estan/Blandat/vtk-python3/src/VTK-7.0.0/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
> line 545
> vtkGenericOpenGLRenderWindow (0x205fb10): GL version 2.1 with the
> gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is
> required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your OpenGL
> driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version 10.6.5 or
> later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.
>
> And sure enough:
>
> estan at newton:~$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL version"
> OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 11.2.0
>
> However:
>
> estan at newton:~$ glxinfo | grep "OpenGL core profile version"
> OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 11.2.0
>
> I'm a little unsure about which of these version numbers I should be
> looking at to see if my graphics has what it takes.
>
> Also, I'm now even unsure if I was ever using the OpenGL2 backend..
> perhaps VTK was falling back to OpenGL1 somehow, and that's why it worked
> in the beginning? Or is the selection of backend always a compile time
> thing?
>
> I build my VTK 7.0.0 in a Personal Package Archive at:
>
>     https://launchpad.net/~elvstone/+archive/ubuntu/vtk7
>
> and the full build log is at:
>

> https://launchpadlibrarian.net/261625779/buildlog_ubuntu-xenial-amd64.vtk7_7.0.0-0ubuntu2_BUILDING.txt.gz

Okay, so looking at that build log, I see:

-- Setting rendering backend to 'OpenGL2' as none was specified.
-- Backend OpenGL modules:
vtkRenderingContextOpenGL;vtkRenderingOpenGL;vtkRenderingLIC;vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL;vtkRenderingGL2PS
-- Backend OpenGL2 modules:
vtkRenderingContextOpenGL2;vtkRenderingVolumeOpenGL2;vtkRenderingOpenGL2;vtkRenderingLICOpenGL2;vtkDomainsChemistryOpenGL2
-- Enabling modules for OpenGL2.

Does this mean I'll always be using the OpenGL2 backend, or that OpenGL vs
OpenGL2 is a runtime choice?

Elvis