[vtkusers] Licensing question

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Jun 21 05:18:17 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 8:34 AM, Malsoaz James via vtkusers <
vtkusers at vtk.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use VTK in a commercial application but I have some
> questions about the BSD license.
> Should I include somewhere the VTK copyright in my application? In source
> code? In related documents?

Related documents is fine. Perhaps in a readme that you distribute with
your application say something to the effect of,
this application uses VTK, the license of which can be found ...

> Currently I'm using version 6.3. I made minor modifications in source file
> of VTK to fit my needs. Should I publish these changes?

You don't have to publish the changes. But if they improve VTK and you
don't mind sharing, it would be great if you could submit a merge request
so that everyone benefits by them. Also, by upstreaming, maintaining the
patch over time is less trouble.