[vtkusers] VTK bug hackathon

Ben Boeckel ben.boeckel at kitware.com
Mon Jun 20 17:36:06 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 16:31:05 -0400, Berk Geveci wrote:
> We are planning a VTK bug hackathon on July 6. Going forward, we would like
> this to be a monthly event during which the community comes together to
> address bugs reported to the tracker. It will be an all day event that we
> will host physically at Kitware Headquarters in Clifton Park, NY as well as
> online via Google Hangout. All are welcome to attend as long as they know
> the code base enough to fix bugs.
>
> Any questions? Comments? Any potential issue with the date?

We've converted from Mantis over to GitLab for CMake already. Do we want
to do this before the first bug hackathon? Issue numbers can (and are
likely to) be preserved.

Pros:

  - it isn't Mantis;

  - issues can be properly labeled as they are looked at; this would
    help with future bug hackathons. Example labels based on the scheme
    CMake is using (more can be added during the hackathon):

      - area:build
      - area:doc
      - area:examples
      - area:parallel
      - area:rendering
      - driver:ati
      - driver:intel
      - driver:nvidia
      - os:linux
      - os:macos
      - os:windows
      - triage:ack
      - triage:easy
      - triage:feature
      - triage:needinfo
      - triage:regression

  - our current migration leaves comments and such behind (it links to
    the old issue for continuity), so any discussion done at the first
    hackathon will not be behind a link;

  - easier way to get others in on an issue (@mention with tab
    completion);

  - did I mention it isn't Mantis?

Cons:

  - a shorter deadline for me to complete the migration.
  - ?

It is possible to preserve authorship and assignment of issues if you'd
like[1] . If you don't want this, assignment will be lost and kwrobot
will be the "opener" of the issue. Closed issues will all be opened and
closed by kwrobot without assignment (to help minimize the email storm).

--Ben

[1]If you'd like to be assigned your issues and automatically subscribed
to those issues, *privately* email me your display username on Mantis
and GitLab. As an example, here the display name of the reporter is
"edice" and the assignee is "Haocheng Liu":

    http://www.paraview.org/Bug/view.php?id=16140

If you have multiple Mantis users, they can both be mapped to a single
user.