[vtkusers] About MouseEvents.py example

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 18:34:42 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:35 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 11:08 AM, Elvis Stansvik <
> elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the pointer, that's good. Though I see now that the only
>> supported types are strings, floats, ints and vtk.vtkObject. In my case I
>> would have been interested in QMouseEvent, since I read that QVTKWidget
>> will use that as callData on the C++ side and was hoping the could have
>> been true in Python (but perhaps it wouldn't have been due to other
>> reasons..?).
>>

> You're the first person who has asked, but yes, it would be possible to
> modify the Python wrappers to pass a Qt object as the callData.   If you're
> willing to try, or if you know someone who'd be willing, I'd be glad to
> provide assistance.  The modifications would have to be done in
> vtkWrapPythonMethodDef.c.  The wrapper API provides a method
> called SIPGetPointerFromObject() in vtkPythonUtil.h that is specifically
> made for getting a "void *" for a Qt object.

Out of curiosity I looked into this a bit deeper, and it would be harder
than I thought.  It cannot be done without re-enabling at least some of the
VTK SIP wrapper functionality that has been bit-rotting for the past few
years.  Of course, this is all very doable if someone is willing to do it.

 - David