[vtkusers] Debugging VTK in Python - finding exact class of VTK object

D L lackodan at outlook.com
Tue Jun 7 06:47:20 EDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I'm having some trouble using VTK in Python and I was wondering if there is any way to find out the exact class of a VTK object.

For example, in this particular case I'd like to verify that the output of a vtkNIFTIImageReader.GetOutput() is indeed a vtkImageData (for debugging purposes), but when I do

type(niftiReader.GetOutput())

I get <type 'vtkobject'>. It seems like it's the same for all VTK objects.

Is there any other python or VTK function I can use?

Kind regards,

Daniel