[vtkusers] How to enable the xdmf module and read xdmf files.

Magnus Elden magnus_elden at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 08:06:10 EDT 2016

HI,

I downloaded and built the XDMF source from www.xdmf.org
<http://www.xdmf.org>  by cloning git clone git://xdmf.org/Xdmf.git.

I then went to CMake and enabled Module_vtkxdmf2 and VTK_USE_SYSTEM_XDMF2
and set the directory path. I tried building it and after some hassle I
managed to get it done. However, I was unable to include any XDMF reader
headers so I guessed that I also needed to enable the Module_vtkIOXdmf2 so I
did that. Configured and built again, but not I was not able to build the IO
module because XDMFArray was ambiguous and several functions and types were
not defined.

I am building this on windows 10 using Visual Studio 2015. I am using Cmake
3.6.0.

What is the difference between XDMF, XDMF2 and XDMF3? How can I read an
.xdmf file to volume render it?

What version of VTK do I need?

What version of XDMF do I need?

Where can I get these libraries?

Anything else I should know?

I have been wrestling with this for about a week now and I must be doing
something wrong.

I was also unable to find any tutorials or guides on how to achieve this. If
there are any, please point me in the right direction.

Yours,

Magnus Elden