[vtkusers] Somehow mesa-12 first rendering is slow

Chuck Atkins chuck.atkins at kitware.com
Thu Jul 14 09:16:09 EDT 2016

> Just one other question regarding your use of these builds: Are these Mesa
> builds with software rasterizers something you ship with Paraview as a
> fallback for when hardware is not up to snuff, or for other certain
> situations? Or will you always be using software rendering (OpenSWR?) going
> forward? No hardware?

It's entirely for a fallback.  The preference is to always use the native
GPU for OpenGL rendering.  When various situations have a need for software
rendering (thin clients, for example), the system supplied Mesa is usually
insufficient to provide an adequate OpenGL version so we ship mesa binaries
with the ParaView clients and giv the user an explicit option to manually
use them if needed (it won't happen automatically).