[vtkusers] AppImage packaging: GLEW could not be initialized

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon Jul 11 15:54:45 EDT 2016

I now have a minimal example I can share:

    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1a2u6qVxaL7S2d3OF9uR3Q2amc

This is an AppImage (hello.appimage), built just the way I build my
application. It shows a sphere in a QVTKWidget. The download is 62 MB since
the VTK bundled in the image includes debugging symbols.

It would be great if other people could download and execute the image on
their distros, to see if it runs. I've tested it only on Kubuntu 16.04
(where it works) and Arch Linux (where it crashes like described in
previous mails).

Specifically it would be _very_ interesting if someone with

1. Arch Linux, or
2. a somewhat old Intel graphics chipset, or (even better)
3. both of the above,

could try running it, and see if they can reproduce my crash (failure to
initialize GLEW).

I'm attaching the sources and scripts (hello.tar.gz) from which I built
this example. If you want to build it yourself, just type "make" in the
extracted directory. All you need is Docker and Make, everything else is
taken care of inside a CentOS 6 Docker container.

Many thanks in advance.

Elvis