[vtkusers] Problems in rendering volume with vtkOpenVR

Guilherme Alcarde Gallo guilherme.gallo at eldorado.org.br
Wed Jul 6 13:54:31 EDT 2016

Hello all!

I have succeeded in building VTK with vtkOpenVR remote module and running a simple Cone example in my OSVR HMD.
But when I've attempted to run the volume rendering example "GPURenderDemo", I got a black screen and a lot of repetitive errors:
ERROR: In
C:\VTK-master\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkTextureObject.cxx,
line 2035
vtkTextureObject (0000000BE6462060): failed at glCopyTexImage2D 6402 1 OpenGL errors detected
  0 : (1282) Invalid operation

Also, I have tried to run the CPU-based volume rendering example "FixedPointVolumeRayCastMapperCT".
Although the performance is poor, it works, since the texture successfully appears in the HMD and its tracking is integrated with the WindowInteractor.

My colleague has made an investigation about this issue comparing both examples, he concluded that the problem is related with the "SmartVolumeMapper" class.

So I would like to ask a few questions:

1)      Does the remote module vtkOpenVR has support for volume rendering?
2a) If it does, what I'm doing wrong? Is there any problem with SmartVolumeMapper implementation for running vtkOpenVr applications?
2b) If it don't, how I can add volume rendering support for vtkOpenVR? (I and my team are willing to do this)

Thank you very much!
Guilherme