[vtkusers] Rendering Problem with OpenGL2 backed

Andrea Borsic aborsic at ne-scientific.com
Wed Jul 6 04:21:56 EDT 2016

Dear VTK Users,

I would like to report a problem I am experiencing with the OpenGL2
back-end and which does not occur under the OpenGL back-end. I am using
a custom filter that implements a level set method for segmenting
images, and I can display the evolution of the level set process using
VTK 5.10 or newer versions of VTK configured to use OpenGL, but not
under OpenGL2.

In the application there is a for loop where the level set filter is set
to run a small number of level set iterations (e.g. 5) and than the
visualization pipeline is updated to show the the zero level set surface
extracted with a vtkContourFilter.

The above worked fine under OpenGL but I get the following error under
OpenGL2

The above error occurs on the second visualization attempt

A Python snippet below shows the relevant code:

ls.SetIter(5) # tell the filter to run 5 level set iterations every time
Update() is called

for i in range(num_cycles):

     print("LS iteration %i of %i\n" % (i*5, num_cycles*5))

     ls.Modified() # set the modified flag on the level set filter so
that the Update() call results in a re-run
     ls.Update() # run more iterations of the level set filter
     contour_filter.Update() # update the zero level set surface
     renWin.Render() # re-render the screen

print("Terminated running LS iterations")

The environment in Windows 10 64bit, VTK 7.0.0, Python 3.5.1

I will be happy to post a full source code example if that helps.

Any comment is welcome,

Thanks,

Best Regards,

Andrea