[vtkusers] Are there a option to find cells to an edge?

-Daniel- ich_daniel at habmalnefrage.de
Tue Jul 5 06:41:02 EDT 2016

Hello everybody,

my main concern is to create a watertight object that represents the
difference between two objects.
Here a fundamental question in advance. Is there a possibility to found
cells from a point to a "boundary or contour"?

Now I want to describe my problem in more detail.
I have two Polydata objects (red and blue) whose spatial difference is to be
visualized. (See picture)
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5739094/diff_polydatas.jpg>
For this I have already tried several ways.
Currently a group of (marked) cells from the first polydata (red) is
extruded in a predetermined direction.
This extruded object intersects my second polydata object (blue). All
contained therein points are belong to the second polydata (ie the object of
comparison)
But unfortunately I need the cells, not the points ...
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5739094/marked_polydata.jpg>
Now I look for from any highlighted cell (red polydatas, see the picture) in
a predetermined direction (via FindCellsAlongLine(..)) the corresponding
neighboring cell.
This works quite well so far (see figure "green").
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5739094/newObject.jpg>
However at 32-bit systems there is a memory overflow when using more than
2,000 labeled cells.
The search of each (red) cell to the adjacent (blue) cell slows down the
system. That should be optimized..

Now my idea of ​​a cell that is approximately in the middle of the second
(blue) polydata to find all the neighboring cells to the "edge" or contour
(which was previously set).
Maybe some kind of advanced feature of FindPointsWithinRadius(..). How can I
achieve this?

I am thankful for every hint!