[vtkusers] vtkMultiBlockDataSet and vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter

Andreas Buykx A.Buykx at tnodiana.com
Fri Jul 1 03:53:39 EDT 2016

Hi,

My finite element mesh is stored in a vtkMultiBlockDataSet. I use a vtkCompositeDataPipeline to process my algorithms.

Visualizing the outer surface of the mesh using vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter generates the outer surface of each block, instead of the outer surface of the entire mesh.
In the source algorithm I can define ghost cells, but to know how many levels of ghost cells I have to generate I should be reading the UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_GHOST_LEVELS, if I understand correctly. Looking at vtkDataSetSurfaceFilter it seems that it requests ghost cells only if UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_PIECES > 1. Similar code is in vtkFeatureEdges and several other algorithms that I use.

So it seems that I have to fool my pipeline into thinking that it processes multiple pieces, by setting UPDATE_NUMBER_OF_PIECES to >1. Is that possible at all? Should I also set other update information, like UPDATE_PIECE_NUMBER? Where in the pipeline should I set this information? Is there an alternative way of doing this?

Thanks for your advice. Kind regards,
Andreas Buykx