[vtkusers] Combined on-screen and off-screen possible with VTK-7.0.0 on linux/X?

Sophonet vtk12af6bc42 at kant.sophonet.de
Tue Jan 19 05:06:14 EST 2016

As a follow-up, I have done some more investigations myself and am still
lost:

According to http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/OSMesa_Support, it seems that
the legacy OSMesa library on linux systems is not needed anymore, but
that software renderers (such as gallium llvm) can provide off-screen
rendering themselves. Correct?

When looking at VTKROOT/CMake/vtkOpenGL.cmake, it appears (not perfectly
sure though) that in this case VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA needs to be turned
on, since this flag sets VTK_CAN_DO_OFFSCREEN to 1. However, it seems to
me that VTK_CAN_DO_OFFSCREEN is not used anywhere else (did a thorough
"grep" on that keyword in the source tree).

It seems that Marcus (Hanwell) was responsible for many of these changes
in CMake - Marcus, can you help?

What I would like to do is (see my first e-mail below) to simultaneously
use interactive rendering and (occasionally) off-screen rendering (for
generating static images), which was possible on Linux in earlier
versions of VTK (e.g. 5.10), but is not possible anymore.

Thanks,

        Sophonet