[vtkusers] Cython

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 15:04:35 EST 2016

Hi Nil,

Classes like vtkCellArray and vtkPoints use a vtkDataArray to store their
data, and vtkDataArray provides a python buffer interface via the
wrappers.  It is this buffer interface that the vtk numpy_interface package
uses to efficiently integrate numpy with VTK.

At the low level, it works like this: vtkDataArray provides a python buffer
interface, so a vtkDataArray can be passed as a parameter to any python
method that expects a buffer object, which allows a numpy array to be
constructed from vtkDataArray.

To get at the vtkDataArray inside of a vtkPoints object, you can use
SetData()/GetData():

  SetData(vtkDataArray)  // sets the data array used by vtkPoints
  GetData() -> vtkDataArray // gets the data array used by vtkPoints

In addition to making a numpy array from a vtkDataArray, It is also
possible to make a vtkDataArray use the memory allocated for a numpy array
by calling vtkDataArray.SetVoidArray().  This has to be done with extreme
caution, however, so numpy_interface is probably the way to go.

 - David