[vtkusers] vtk vs pyvtk vs coin3d memory usage

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 22:59:28 EST 2016

Hi Zach,

Well, most people begin their vtk-python programs with "import vtk", which
loads the python bindings for every VTK class (around 2000 classes).  So,
yes, importing all the python bindings for VTK is going to eat a lot of
time and memory compared to a lean package like Coin3D.  It's possible to
speed up the start time by importing only the VTK modules you need.

VTK can use a lot of memory... the default is for each stage in the filter
pipeline to cache a copy of the data set, and VTK provides almost no
facilities to do in-place manipulation of data.  The python wrappers don't
add any significant weight here, though, it's the same when people write
VTK programs in C++.

With regards to comparing VTK and Coin3D, don't forget that VTK's role is
complex pipelined data manipulation.  Coin3D, as far as I understand, is
focused mainly on getting the data from disk to screen, providing a scene
graph, and providing interaction tools.  So it's a bit of an apples to
oranges comparison.

 - David