[vtkusers] which piece-filter streams when creating pieces to convert VTP to PVTP

Grothausmann, Roman Dr. grothausmann.roman at mh-hannover.de
Wed Jan 13 13:07:43 EST 2016

I noticed that when converting a VTP-file to a PVTP-file one must specify a
filter in between the reader and the writer that actually creates pieces like
vtkExtractPolyDataPiece (I guess that's why these examples are under broken:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Broken/IO/XMLPUnstructuredGridWriter
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/Broken/IO/XMLPImageDataWriter). While
my vtp2pvtp creates multiple files as expected
(https://github.com/romangrothausmann/VTK-CLIs/blob/master/vtp2pvtp.cxx) I can't
get it to stream the input. It seems that vtkExtractPolyDataPiece demands the
whole dataset
(http://www.vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Filters/Core/Testing/Python/StreamPolyData.py).
So I wonder how to make this program single-threaded but streaming such that the
total RAM usage scales with the number of pieces.

I also found vtkDicer vtkOBBDicer and vtkDistributedDataFilter which all seem to
create pieces in different ways. When to use which and when
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline?

Any help or hints are very much appreciated
Roman

--
Dr. Roman Grothausmann

Tomographie und Digitale Bildverarbeitung
Tomography and Digital Image Analysis

Institut für Funktionelle und Angewandte Anatomie, OE 4120
Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Carl-Neuberg-Str. 1
D-30625 Hannover

Tel. +49 511 532-2900