[vtkusers] Transform a clipping plane

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Jan 5 10:28:33 EST 2016

Chiang,

The transform is applied to points at which the plane function is
evaluated, but it is not considered when setting up clipping planes in the
mapper.

You should be able to get the same effect from your rotations by applying
the transform to a point representing the tip of the plane normal.

double normal[] = {0, 1, 0};
double rotatedNormal[3];
transPlane->TransformPoint(normal, rotatedNormal);
plane->SetNormal(rotatedNormal);

HTH,
Cory

On Tue, Jan 5, 2016 at 7:32 AM, WangQ <wangq1979 at outlook.com> wrote:

> Hello vtkusers,
>
> I used vtkplane to clip a volume. Everything is find until the volume is
> transformed. The plane is still at the original position. I then applied
> vtkTransform to the plane, but the plane is still the same place. The code
> snippet is as below:
>
>     vtkSmartPointer<vtkPlane> plane =
>         vtkSmartPointer<vtkPlane>::New();
>     plane->SetOrigin(0, tomo2DDims / 2, 0);
>     plane->SetNormal(0, 1, 0);
>     vtkSmartPointer<vtkTransform> transPlane =
> vtkSmartPointer<vtkTransform>::New();
>     transPlane->RotateY(90);
>     transPlane->RotateZ(90);
>     transPlane->RotateX(55);
>     transPlane->RotateY(3);
>     plane->SetTransform(transPlane);
>
>     cutVolumeMapper->AddClippingPlane(plane);
>

> Appreciate your help in advance!
>
> cheers,
>
> Chiang

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ