[vtkusers] VtK 7, python3.4 build error

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 14:42:29 EST 2016

Hi Matthew,

Try pointing PYTHON_LIBRARY to libpython3.5m.dylib instead, and likewise
point PYTHON_EXECUTABLE to python3.5m.

The suffix (in this case "m") should be the same for the lib, the include
dir, and the executable.  The three suffixes for python are "m" (pymalloc),
"d" (pydebug), and "u" (wide unicode).  These suffixes reflect the build
options for the python package.

I did build VTK against python 3.5 on OS X a few months ago, when Python
3.5 was first released, and I did not encounter any problems.  I can do it
again tomorrow with the latest package to see if anything has changed.

 - David

On Sun, Jan 3, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Matthew Cragun <mcragun at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> I've been doing my OS X builds with the python binary packages from
>> python.org, so I know that those, at least, should work.
>>
>> Can you give me some details about the python you are using?
>> Specifically, can you tell me what the contents of the library directory (
>> /Users/mcragun/anaconda/envs/py3k/lib/) are?
>>
>> Also, in the CMakeCache.txt, can you give me the values
>> of PYTHON_EXECUTABLE, PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR, and PYTHON_LIBRARY?
>>
>> For my build against the python.org binaries, VTK found the following:
>>

>> PYTHON_EXECUTABLE:FILEPATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/bin/python3.4
>>
>> PYTHON_INCLUDE_DIR:PATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/Headers/
>>
>> PYTHON_LIBRARY:FILEPATH=/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/3.4/lib/libpython3.4.dylib
>>
>> Obviously the locations will be different for Anaconda, but I just wanted
>> to give you an example of how these variables can be set.
>>
>>  - David
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 1, 2016 at 9:45 PM, Matthew Cragun <mcragun at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am having trouble building VTK 7 with Python 3.4 on OS X 10.11 .
>>> Everything goes well for the first 99% of the process, however at the end,
>>> I get this error:
>>>
>>> [ 99%[ Building CXX object
>>> Wrapping/Python/CMakeFiles/vtkpython.dir/vtkPythonAppInit.cxx.o
>>> make[2]: *** No rule to make target
>>> `/Users/mcragun/anaconda/envs/py3k/lib/libpython3.4.dylib', needed by
>>> `bin/vtkpython'.  Stop.
>>> make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
>>> In file included from
>>> /Users/mcragun/Projects/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkPythonAppInit.cxx:29:
>>> /Users/mcragun/Projects/VTK-build/Wrapping/Python/vtkpythonmodules.h:119:3:
>>> error: no matching function
>>>       for call to 'PyImport_AppendInittab'
>>>   PyImport_AppendInittab(namevtkCommonCore, initvtkCommonCorePython);
>>>  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> /Users/mcragun/anaconda/envs/py3k/include/python3.4m/import.h:109:17:
>>> note: candidate function not
>>>       viable: no known conversion from 'void ()' to 'PyObject *(*)()'
>>> for 2nd argument
>>> PyAPI_FUNC(int) PyImport_AppendInittab(
>>>                 ^
>>> In file included from
>>> /Users/mcragun/Projects/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtkPythonAppInit.cxx:29:
>>> /Users/mcragun/Projects/VTK-build/Wrapping/Python/vtkpythonmodules.h:122:3:
>>> error: no matching function
>>>       for call to 'PyImport_AppendInittab'
>>>   PyImport_AppendInittab(namevtkCommonMath, initvtkCommonMathPython);
>>>   ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>>
>>> Similar errors are repeated until...

>>> /Users/mcragun/anaconda/envs/py3k/include/python3.4m/import.h:109:17:
>>> note: candidate function not
>>>       viable: no known conversion from 'void ()' to 'PyObject *(*)()'
>>> for 2nd argument
>>> PyAPI_FUNC(int) PyImport_AppendInittab(
>>>                 ^
>>> fatal error: too many errors emitted, stopping now [-ferror-limit=]
>>> make[2]: ***
>>> [Wrapping/Python/CMakeFiles/vtkpython.dir/vtkPythonAppInit.cxx.o] Error 1