[vtkusers] HiDPI Support for vtkRenderWindow

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Feb 24 17:46:37 EST 2016

On Wed, 24 Feb 2016 23:07:47 +0100, Max-Heinrich Laves said:

>I am using VTK 7.0 on OS X 10.11 on a MacBook Pro with HiDPI resolution
>(Retina). When creating a vtkRenderWindow, everything looks blurry and
>pixelated due to hidpi upscaling.

This is something I've been meaning to look at, but it never gets to the top of my todo list because I don't have a HiDPI screen. :)

It will require changes to VTK.  We'd probably want an API to toggle HiDPI on/off, because having 4x the number of pixels can be much slower and unnecessary for some applications.

Then we'd need to follow the advice here:
<https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/OpenGL-MacProgGuide/EnablingOpenGLforHighResolution/EnablingOpenGLforHighResolution.html>

If you're up to it, you could hack around in VTK's Cocoa code... otherwise I might have time next week...

Cheers,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com