[vtkusers] Uninstall VTK help

hchen hjchen.work at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 13:21:12 EST 2016

I am using Ubuntu, so there might be a slightly difference from Mint.  I
would do the following:

1. install checkinstall, it should be available on Mint

2. go to VTK-5.10.1 build folder (where you build VTK and run make install
from), and run checkinstall (or sudo checkinstall), checkintsall will
reinstall (overwrite) VTK-5.10.1 again, meanwhile, it will track what is
installed and will also build a installation package (you can give the
installation package a name).

3. I am 99% sure that at this point, VTK-5.10.1 should be listed in you
package manager (eg, Synaptic package manager) but with the name you
specified in step 2(if you didn't specify a name for installation package, I
think the default name is 'build', maybe followed by year, date and time);
if it falls in the 1% and it's not listed in the package manager, install
the installation package;

4. now you can uninstall it with package manager

I am sure there is a better way, but the above worked for me when I was
trying to uninstall some other package I build from source...

good luck

Chen