[vtkusers] UseShadowsOn makes VTK 7.0.0 crash

vincentrivola vincentrivola at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 3 07:44:06 EST 2016

Dear all,

First of all, I wanted to thank VTK developpers because they did an
incredible job with this new release. I just made the switch between 6.3.0
and 7.0.0 on one of my application and it became so much faster that it was
hard to believe it !

Then I wanted to test one of the new features /mod of 7.0.0 which is the
shadow handling. I use the JAVA wrapper for VTK and included the following
line in my code:
		panel3d.GetRenderer().SetUseShadows(1);
or             panel3d.GetRenderer().UseShadowsOn();

This line makes my code crash with the following error message:
#
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00007ffc1a81bc29,
pid=14128, tid=12324
#
# JRE version: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (8.0_65-b17) (build
1.8.0_65-b17)
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (25.65-b01 mixed mode
windows-amd64 compressed oops)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [vtkRenderingOpenGL2.dll+0x8bc29]
#
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client
versions of Windows
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as:
# C:\Users\Vincent\workspace\SEIS_LMT_v2\hs_err_pid14128.log
#
#   http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp
# The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
# See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
#

Apparently the crash is comming from outside the java wrapper.  Should I do
something special when compiling VTK in order to be able to use this
feature?

Vincent