[vtkusers] Create a correct mesh from set of triangles and wrong vertices index numbers

gocarlos gocarlos at ethz.ch
Fri Dec 23 05:02:40 EST 2016

Dear VTK Users

I have some data sets which have several triangles (set of 3 points with x,
y, z) and vertices. (like the OBJ file).
The problem is that the vertices are just in increasing order and not
ordered.
Using PCL I've seen that when I save my PCL mesh (with unordered vertices)
into STL, the PCL library converts the PCL mesh in VTK polydata and then a
STL file is written to the file system (using VTK).

I tried to look in the source code after the method which vtk used to clean
the mesh to reorder the vertices, but I haven't found anything.

I'm only interested on how VTK orders the vertices in such a way, that they
are in the right order and the points of the mesh are not duplicate.
Is there a method to clean the mesh/connect the duplicate points/reorder the
vertices index?

Thanks in advance.