[vtkusers] converting 32bit application to 64bit causes VTK problems

thorbjorn88 chesterdavidb at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 17:04:11 EST 2016

I'm trying to build an application which was originally written for 32 bit
with 64 bit for memory needs. This application uses Qt 4.8.5 and VTK 6.1. I
am using 64 bit versions of those libraries which in general seem to be
working. There are about 5 VTK functions which are giving unresolved
external errors despite all other VTK externals working correctly. One
function causes these errors. Why is this unresolved when other externals
work? Why does it think I'm trying to use (int,int,int *) as my arguments
when I'm clearly using (int,int,vtkIdType*)?

Error 2 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: int __cdecl vtkPolyData::InsertNextCell(int,int,int *)"
(__imp_?InsertNextCell at vtkPolyData@@QEAAHHHPEAH at Z)

Error 1 error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport)
public: int __cdecl vtkPolyData::InsertNextCell(int,int,int *)"
(__imp_?InsertNextCell at vtkPolyData@@QEAAHHHPEAH at Z) referenced in function
"public: void __cdecl cailAcu::loadAcu(class QString,class QVector &)"
(?loadAcu at cailAcu@@QEAAXVQString@@AEAV?$QVector at PEAVvtkDataSet@@@@@Z

the code these erros reference is as follows

vtkIdType * id = new vtkIdType[numPoints];
for (vtkIdType i = 0; i<numPoints; i++) {
    id[i] = i;
}

//some other stuff then....
vtkPolyData *dataSet =vtkPolyData::New();
dataSet->Allocate(1,1);
for(int x=0; x<numPoints; x++) {
    //dataSet->InsertNextCell(2, numPoints, id);  //old function used for
inserting a scan per cell
    dataSet->InsertNextCell(2, 1, &id[x]);
}