[vtkusers] GPU for computation

Andrea Borsic aborsic at ne-scientific.com
Tue Aug 30 05:55:54 EDT 2016

Hi Sunil,

Concerning the vtkDelaunay3D algorithm, it is not implemented on GPUs
and I don't believe there is currently an option for that (in VTK and
generally in the public domain).

While the vtkDelaunay3D is convenient as directly available in VTK and
with VTK licensing terms, I have experienced significant speed gains
using TetGen (http://wias-berlin.de/software/tetgen/) - this on meshes
with 0.5 to 2 million tetrahedral elements. The only drawback is that
one has to develop his/her own methods calling TetGen from VTK, and
abide to the specific licensing conditions.

Please note also that a number of alternatives exist:
http://www.robertschneiders.de/meshgeneration/software.html

Best Regards,

Andrea

On 30-Aug-16 9:23 AM, Sunil Mathew via vtkusers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does vtkDelaunay3D have a GPU implementation?
>
> Also does VTK use the GPU for rendering.
>
> Thanks,
> Sunil

Andrea Borsic Ph.D.
CEO & Founder NE Scientific LLC