[vtkusers] Volume rendering problem

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon Aug 29 13:40:28 EDT 2016

>> aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com>:
>>
>>> Elvis, Robert,
>>>
>>> Alvaro is looking into this issue. Hopefully soon we will have few
>>> answers. The bottom line is that in a pure opengl application, we were able
>>> to render texture larger than 4GB but it is too early to say where the
>>> bottleneck is.
>>>

>> Alright, good to know. Thanks for the info and looking forward to hear
>> what your findings are.
>>

> Hi again Aashish, did you or Alvaro make any findings regarding this?
>
> I have to ask: Since you called it an "issue", do you mean that it should
> be possible to render volumes larger than 2048 voxels in one dimension
> (despite the graphics card texture size limit)?

I can also confirm that on an older system (SandyBridge, HD 3000 graphics),
I hit the limit at 1024, I guess because of the older graphics chip.

So my question is really: Should VTK be able to render volumes that are
larger (in some dimension) than the maximum texture size of the GPU? Or do
I have to split/juggle multiple volumes to work around this myself?

Elvis