[vtkusers] [vtk-developers] vtkTextSource vtkfont_bits generation

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Tue Aug 23 09:52:09 EDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Aug 2016 08:53:24 -0400, David Lonie said:
>
>>And no, vtkVectorText cannot use characters outside of ASCII codepoints
>>33-126.
>
> Shouldn't we deprecate this class then?  As I understand it, newer classes replace it, correct?

Yes and no. There are better ways to render text, but vtkVectorText
produces a polydata representation of the text (each glyph is actually
drawn), while the others render a textured quad with a image of the
rendered string. This may be useful if there's a need to transform the
polydata somehow for some reason or something, so there is some unique
functionality there. Plus the usual anti-deprecation arguments about
legacy client code and customers, etc.

Dave