[vtkusers] RFC: removing Mac OS X 10.6 support in VTK

Jean-Christophe Fillion-Robin jchris.fillionr at kitware.com
Fri Aug 19 15:38:06 EDT 2016

Hi,

For what it is worth, Slicer MacOSX build machine is still running  10.6.8,
we will soon transition to machine with 10.11

In the mean time, we reverted "Increase VTK OS X minimum check from 10.6.0
to 10.6.8" on the Slicer/VTK fork.

See https://github.com/Slicer/VTK/commits/slicer-v7.1.0-2016-07-06-b824d94

Jc

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 2:53 PM, David Gobbi <david.gobbi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anybody care about Mac OS X 10.6 support anymore?
>>
>> There are no longer any dashboards testing it automatically, and there
>> are some burdensome workarounds in the codebase to support it.
>>
>> Anyone object to its removal?, as per this patch:
>> <https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/1798>
>>
>> (Apple no longer even releases security updates for 10.6, so using it is
>> a bad idea in general.)
>>

> Yeah, Apple dropped support for it about 5 years ago... we upgraded our
> last 10.6 machine around a year ago, and have been using a deployment
> target of 10.7 since then.
>
> I mentioned it in the MR, but I'll mention it again here: a reason why
> people might not want to upgrade a Mac past 10.6 is that PowerPC apps will
> not run on later versions of OS X.  It was awesome to be able to run old
> PowerPC apps on an Intel Mac, I had a nice little viewer that I had to
> retire when I upgraded.
>
>  - David

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ