[vtkusers] Import time in Python

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Aug 18 03:03:02 EDT 2016

> YMMV, but on my ancient 2009 MacBook Pro, 2 cores, 2.53GHz, 4GB RAM, here
> is the time to execute "import vtk":
>
> $ time bin/vtkpython import_vtk.py
> real 0m1.851s
> user 0m0.640s
> sys 0m0.448s
>
> And on the second try (when the libs are in disk cache):
>
> $ time bin/vtkpython import_vtk.py
> real 0m0.612s
> user 0m0.485s
> sys 0m0.120s
>
> So if my system takes 0.6s to import VTK, while yours takes 7s, that
> suggests that something funny is going on. Does anyone else want to chime
> in with their experience with loading VTK into Python?

(gui) estan at newton:~$ echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
3
(gui) estan at newton:~$ time python import_vtk.py
real    0m0.858s
user    0m0.376s
sys     0m0.076s
(gui) estan at newton:~$ time python import_vtk.py
real    0m0.312s
user    0m0.288s
sys     0m0.020s

This was VTK 7.0.0 on a four core i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz running Ubuntu
16.04. But my VTK might not be as extensive as yours, it was built like
this: https://launchpad.net/~elvstone/+archive/ubuntu/vtk7

So 7 seconds looks strange to me too.

Elvis