[vtkusers] Unstructured grid and coincident face rendering

Miorelli, Federico Federico.Miorelli at CGG.COM
Tue Aug 16 11:28:33 EDT 2016

Dear All,

I need to render a 3D grid which is horizontally structured but vertically unstructured (a corner-point grid with vertical pillars).
This is made of columns on a regular grid, each column is made up of a possibly different number of voxels whose Z coordinates are different from the neighboring columns. Voxels are displaced only in Z, so their faces are always perfectly vertical and touch the adjacent columns.

  *-----*
/     /|
*-----* o-----o
|     |/     /|
|     o-----o |
|     |     | |
*-----*     | o
|     |     |/
|     o-----o
|     |/
*-----*

I am using vtkUnstructuredGrid with VTK_VOXEL cells to represent this. In each column I have (Nz+1)*4 points to represent the voxel edges, so that 4 points are shared between two vertically adjacent voxels. I cannot share points laterally because the Z values are different.

My problem is that I get very bad surface rendering artifacts at the boundaries between two columns, probably because both faces are rendered (see attached screenshot).

The only way I could get the correct rendering is by using OSPray in Paraview, but it's very slow on my hardware.

-    Is vtkUnstructuredGrid the best way to do this?

-    Is there a way to hint VTK that some faces are partially coincident, as to avoid double rendering?

I can provide code samples or data if needed.

Thank you for your help,
Best Regards

Federico

This email and any accompanying attachments are confidential. If you received this email by mistake, please delete
it from your system. Any review, disclosure, copying, distribution, or use of the email by others is strictly prohibited.