[vtkusers] MSVC 2015 code not running when switch from debug to release

Oliver Cairncross op.cairncross at gmail.com
Fri Aug 12 03:52:19 EDT 2016

I can compile and run the code OK when running a debug config. When I
switch to release it crashes with a Microsoft C++ exception:
std::bad_alloc. And I get this is a dialog

Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFDA170EA1E (ucrtbase.dll) in mesh_maker.exe:
Fatal program exit requested.

I'm pretty sure that this has nothing to do with VTK but has anyone out
there come across this sort of behavior?

This is the cmake file I used to create the sln file (copied from the VTK
examples).

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 2.8)

PROJECT(MeshMaker)

find_package(VTK REQUIRED)
include(${VTK_USE_FILE})

add_executable(mesh_maker FileIterator poly_maker mesh_maker)

if(VTK_LIBRARIES)
  target_link_libraries(mesh_maker ${VTK_LIBRARIES})
else()
  target_link_libraries(mesh_maker vtkHybrid vtkWidgets)
endif()

The VTK it points to was built in release mode using MSVC.

Cheers
Ollie