[vtkusers] Why the baggage in vtkInteractorStyle?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue Aug 9 05:47:12 EDT 2016

> Hi all,
>
> This is a bit of a general question about the interactor style system in
> VTK.
>
> Why does vtkInteractorStyle, which is described as the superclass of all
> interactor styles, have things functions like Dolly, Pan, Zoom et.c.? And
> why does it have keypress behaviors at all (e.g. 'j', 't', 'c', 'a', ...)?

I realize now that the docs are a little out of date, and that some of the
keyboard shortcuts I mention are now handled by vtkInteractorStyleSwitch.

But I'm still wondering why vtkInteractorStyle makes so many assumptions
about how a subclasser wishes to implement his/her style. I would have
expected a more "bare bone" base class.

Elvis