[vtkusers] vtk linking error cannot find some libraries

the lily the.1.lily at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 4 12:10:34 EDT 2016

I downloaded a new VTK version to make sure that I have nothing left over from before and I'm still getting the same error

/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingOpenGL.dir/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx.o(.text+0x6ef0): sibling call optimization to `std::basic_stringbuf<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_stringbuf()' does not allow automatic multiple TOCs; recompile with -mminimal-toc or -fno-optimize-sibling-calls, or make `std::basic_stringbuf<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_stringbuf()' extern
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [lib/libvtkRenderingOpenGL-6.1.so.1] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Rendering/OpenGL/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingOpenGL.dir/all] Error 2

________________________________
1) Since you reran CMake before running make clean, the Makefile was rewritten to remove the output of the new build rather than the old build.  So things from the old build that would have been removed were still present.
2) CMake doesn't fully support make clean.  It works sometimes, but don't depend on it... depending on what you are changing it can fail with really strange errors.  It is safest to delete the entire build directory and re-create it.

HTH,
Shawn

After I changed it back to the original values

I did
 cmake
make clean
make

but I'm still getting the same error:
/usr/bin/ld: CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingOpenGL.dir/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx.o(.text+0x6ef0): sibling call optimization to `std::basic_stringbuf<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_stringbuf()' does not allow automatic multiple TOCs; recompile with -mminimal-toc or -fno-optimize-sibling-calls, or make `std::basic_stringbuf<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> >::~basic_stringbuf()' extern
/usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [lib/libvtkRenderingOpenGL-6.1.so.1] Error 1
make[1]: *** [Rendering/OpenGL/CMakeFiles/vtkRenderingOpenGL.dir/all] Error 2

I'm trying to understand what causing the error, but no luck. Any idea on what might be the problem?