[vtkusers] Performance issues with triangle strips

marcin.krotkiewski marcin.krotkiewski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 06:47:01 EDT 2016

Hello,

I am testing efficiency of triangle strips in visualization of large
digital elevation models. Initial tests show signifficant improvements
in memory usage, but also some performance issues: it seems that for
example the vtkContourFilter performs _much_ worse when using strips.

I am running VTK7 with OpenGL2 backend on Ubuntu. For an example model
with 46e6 triangles, I tested two versions of the code (I use Java
wrappings):

                 grid = vtkPolyData();
                 grid.SetPoints(nodes);
                 grid.SetPolys(elems);

or
         [...]
                 grid.SetStrips(elems);

In the first scenario computing the contours took 13s, in the second -
182s. I also used vtkStripper to actually compute some longer strips.
For 50e3 computed strips the contour filter took 34s to update. Much
better, but still worse than when using individual triangles.

So my questions are
  - is there something I can do to improve the contouring speed? (is it
parallelizable in current VTK version, for example?)
  - are there any other known performance issues when using triangle
strips in filters?

Thanks a lot!

Marcin Krotkiewski