[vtkusers] Artifacts in volume rendering

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue Apr 12 10:16:17 EDT 2016

> Hi all,
>
> Following Berk Geveci's great blog post from 2014 on writing a custom HDF5
> reader in Python [1], I tried to take his code and modify it to load HDF5
> files where the densities are float32 and vary between 0 and 64.
>
> The only change I did to his reader was to modify RequestData to scale the
> loaded data and convert it to uint16, like this:
>
>     data = (data * 1023).astype(uint16)
>
> (should get me roughly in the range 0-65535).
>
> I then generated a test HDF5 file containing a cylindrical volume like
> this:
>
> def create_cylinder_file(filename, height, radius):
>     """Create a cylindrical volume and save it in test.hdf5.
>
>     The densities are saved as float32 and will vary sinusoidically
>     from 0 to 64 along the cylinder height.
>
>     The result is saved in the "test" dataset in the output file.
>     """
>     z_values = 32 + 32 * sin(linspace(0, 2*pi, height))
>     diameter = radius * 2
>     data = zeros(shape=(diameter, diameter, height), dtype=float32)
>
>     for x in range(diameter):
>         for y in range(diameter):
>             if (x - radius)**2 + (y - radius)**2 <= radius**2:
>                 data[x, y, :] = z_values

I made a quick test with densities uniformly random 0-64 instead (e.g.
data[x, y, :] = uniform(0, 64, height) above instead), with the attached
result. Notice how the artifacts are still present (they're particularly
visible from this angle).

Perhaps it's obvious to someone more experienced in visualisation than I am
what is happening here?

Elvis