[vtkusers] vtkPlaneWidget handle size not dynamic based on camera distance

kent myers dakota_63124 at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 3 21:48:12 EDT 2016

I am using the vtkPlaneWidget to dynamically position a cutting plane.  When
my model is relatively large and the camera distance to the model is large,
the vtkPlaneWidget handles are so tiny that I cannot see them.  I read in a
forum post that the handle sizes are supposed to update automatically based
on window size and distance from the camera to the plane widget.  Since this
does not seem to be working, I am attempting to update the handle size in a
mouse drag event handler to respond to changes in the camera distance.

This is working fine except that the size of the handles does not
immediately change after the callback.  They only update after the user
adjusts the plane widget size, position, or orientation.  I have tried
calling the plane widget Modified() method and the UpdatePlacement() method
after calling SetHandleSize(), but this does not help.

Any suggests would be welcome.

I am using VTK 1.7RC1 on Windows 7 and Java.

Thanks,
Kent