[vtkusers] Computational Geometry - user equations?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Sep 30 09:15:45 EDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 12:13 PM, <piers.barber at logicmonkey.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to specify a surface f(u,v) in 3D with my own parametric equation
> system {x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v)}. And then visualize it.
>
> The only way I can see to do this is to add my function to the library
> source code, build the library and then call my function as described here:
>

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/GeometricObjects/ParametricObjectsDemo#CMakeLists.txt

Yep, that looks like a good way to go.

> I'm using vtkParametricTorus[.h, .cxx] as a template, but is there an
> easier and more direct way to do this?

You can define your subclass of vtkParametricFunction in your local project
- no need to add it to VTK, which is what I think you were saying above.

Were you looking for a vtkParametricFunction subclass that takes an
expression for x(u,v), etc.? That doesn't exist as far as I know, but that
would be cool to have.

Cory

> Thanks!
>
> -=:LM:=-