[vtkusers] performance reading large data sets

Michael Arneson michael.arneson at geotoolkit.net
Sat Sep 19 14:51:33 EDT 2015

Hi
I am trying to read in a large vtk file (13 million points) using the java
wrapped vtk libraries.

It takes my program 15 minutes just to load the vtk file but when i load the
data into ParaView, it takes 3 minutes to load and view the file.

Should I be using a different reader to read in the data?

Does anyone know what ParaView is using to load the data so quickly (since
ParaView uses vtk)

I am using the following code to load the file:

static {
        vtkNativeLibrary.LoadAllNativeLibraries();
}

vtkGenericDataObjectReader reader = new vtkGenericDataObjectReader();
reader.SetFileName("....");
reader.Update();

Thank you,
Michael