[vtkusers] Python required for vtkDICOM?

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 12:59:08 EDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 10:43 AM, Dženan Zukić <dzenanz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it normal that Python libraries are required when vtkDICOM module is
> enabled? Otherwise it is a bug in VTK 6.3.0.
>
> Just enabling vtkDICOM module requires Python libraries.

The "remote modules" feature was added just before the VTK 6.3 release,
and of course it can benefit from additional testing.  The CMakeLists.txt in
vtk-dicom itself don't yet fit cleanly into the needed "modular"
configuration.
Bill did a couple passes through the cmake code to get things working, and
I meant to do a sweep through the code myself last weekend to clean things
up, but I've been overextended recently.

Hopefully, everything will be tidy by VTK 7 (whenever that will be) and
if there is a VTK 6.4, it'll be fixed there, too.

But for now, I recommend that people using VTK 6.3 (or earlier) build
vtk-dicom separately rather than enable it as a remote module.

 - David