[vtkusers] What's a good way to do volume rendering when the capability of graphics hardware is unknown

Weiguang guan guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca
Wed Sep 16 15:53:59 EDT 2015

Hi everyone,

If you have an answer or suggestions regarding the question in the
subject line, please share them. Thanks.

Using vtkSmartVolumeMapper and SetRequestedRenderModeToDefault() is
certainly designed for this purpose. But it has some issues:

(1) If GPU ray casting is not supported, then it will try 3D texture
mapping. Simon ESNEAULT reported a bug that sneaked into
vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D in v5.5 or v5.6 five years ago that causes
dramatic slow down. The problem hasn't been fixed so far, and it is not
likely to be fixed soon as the mapper is considered as "depreciated".

(2) GPU ray casting is supported on my laptop and desktop, but I am not
sure it can do LOD. They dynamic rate is not very good to be
interactive. I tried to play with SetInteractiveUpdateRate(double) but
it didn't seem have any effect. Any suggestion? Thanks.

Best,
Weiguang