[vtkusers] VTK 6.3.0

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Sep 10 20:12:50 EDT 2015

Adding a few more points.  As David said OpenGL2 could have been named
OpenGLNew, the 2 is really just there because we are implementing it
without yet replacing the old OpenGL code. So we have two libraries so we
needed a name that was different than just OpenGL so we called it OpenGL2
:-)  In terms of what version of OpenGL we support it is mostly OpenGL
version 3.2 which has the nice property that I believe it is mostly
forward compatible with later versions of OpenGL including the latest
releases.  So I believe you could create an OpenGL 4.4 context and most if
not all of the new rendering code would work in it which is nice for those
who want to experiment with the latest OpenGL features.  The difference
between OpenGL 1.0 which VTK originally used and OpenGL 3.2 Core is
significant given how much rendering code VTK has in it. Plus at the same
time we made the new OpenGL code support OpenGL ES versions 2.0 and 3.0
which are used on Android and iOS devices and added in support for
multitouch events etc.  There is a lot in this upgrade :-)

Hope that helps!
Ken

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
ken.martin at kitware.com
919 869-8871 (w)

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you
are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or
any action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If
you received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.