[vtkusers] Release Build/Install failing with regard to linking in visual studio

Luke Darlow LDarlow at csir.co.za
Tue Oct 27 08:48:26 EDT 2015

Good day,

I have been using VTK in conjunction with qT in visual studio. I really enjoy its capability and it is very useful to me. However, when trying to build in release configuration visual studio gives linking issues.

I am using VTK 6.1.0 and gT 5.5.

I have built the debug and release versions of VTK using CMAKE and visual studio. The builds were both successful. I have also built the "install" project on both accounts into two separate locations (Debug and Release).

I have linked the two different versions of my application (in visual studio 2013) to the respective installed libraries (i.e., C:\VTK\release\lib for the release config, and C:\VTK\debug\lib for the debug config) and included the necessary libraries as "input" to the linker.

I have also copied the correct dlls into the folder where the .exes of the application are. I did this first with the debug version in order to get it to work, and more recently with the release version, without winning. I know that these dlls are different configs because they are different sizes. I did this copying on account of not wanting to set an environment variable because the dlls have the same name in each case.

The project compiles fine, but does not link in Release config. Everything works fine in Debug mode.

Can you help me please?

Luke.

and is believed to be clean.